Extra Oaxacan Old Fashioned
Homage to the new classic created by Phil Ward while working at Death & Company. This version brings a bit of extra smoke and a bit more orange, hence the name!
Servings 1 drink
- 1 oz mezcal
- 1 oz tequila (I prefer a reposado like the original but an anejo will work as well)
- 1/4 oz agave simply syrup (I find this mixes more easily than pure agave syrup)
- 1 dash orange bitters
- 1 dash angostura bitters
- 1 peel orange
- Add mezcal, tequila, agave simply syrup, and bitters to cocktail mixing glass (or bottom half of shaker).
- Add ice and stir thoroughly with a bar spoon.
- Strain into a rocks glass with a large ice cube.
- Careful, this step can cause quite a flare up depending on how oily the peel is: Light a match/lighter and squeeze orange peel into the flame over the glass. Blow out match, drop the peel into the drink, and enjoy!