Fire and Smoke (Mezcal and Fire Roasted Tomato Cocktail)
Fire and Smoke, two of my favorite things to apply to food (and drinks)! This is maybe like a Bloody Mary x Mezcal Martini. Smoke from the Mezcal, fire roasted tomato juice, a bit of lemon, and of course some heat, this time from some home grown Serrano peppers, OH YEAH BABY!
Servings 1 drink
- 1 oz mezcal (feel free to play with the mezcal/tequila ratio, really depends on the mezcal you have and your taste)
- 1/2 oz tequila
- 1 oz fire roasted tomato juice (Clearly a make ahead, in a pinch you could use canned and/or regular tomato juice... but I cannot guarantee the results!)
- 1/2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 oz agave simple syrup
- 1 each Serrano pepper (a few slices for heat in the drink and the rest as garnish if you like!)
- Add mezcal, tequila, fire roasted tomato juice, lemon juice, agave simple syrup, and a few slices (maybe 4 - 5 slim round slices) of Serrano pepper to your shaker.
- Add ice to the shaker and shake for a good 15 - 20 seconds. Strain into a chilled coupe and garnish with the rest of the Serrano pepper and savor this fire roasted tomato cocktail!
Okay, I've been dying to make a fire roasted tomato cocktail and I had this idea of a totally clear drink in mind (sometimes a bit of the tomato juice comes out almost clear). Well, in order to have enough juice and fire roasted flavor that didn't quite work out... but that's okay because this is so delicious that it doesn't matter. I'll probably keep working on figuring out if I can make enough of the clear fire roasted tomato juice to make a cocktail but until then enjoy this love child of a Bloody Mary and a Mezcal Martini! Also, it's obviously easiest if you make the fire roasted tomatoes ahead of time... and can make a bunch of other things with them as well: fire roasted salsa, fire roasted ratatouille, etc... better make it a large batch!