The Garden of Eden (Nasturtium Cocktail)
Garden of Eden (Nasturtium Cocktail)
Wonderfully herbal, slightly peppery, bitter-sweet, spring cocktail. Intoxicatingly aromatic and visually striking. Best enjoyed outdoors in the warm spring sun!
Servings 1 drink
- 1 1/2 oz gin (I used a fantastic local gin from Cutler's)
- 1/2 oz Aperol
- 3/4 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice (save a half of a lemon to toss in and muddle)
- 1/2 oz simple syrup, I prefer agave simple syrup (kick it up a notch with a lemon oleo saccharum!)
- 1 sprig oregano
- 3 each nasturtium leaves
- 1 each nasturtium flower
- Add gin, Aperol, lemon juice, simple syrup (or oleo saccharum), oregano, and nasturtium leaves into the shaker and muddle thoroughly.
- Add an already juiced half of a lemon to the shaker, you can muddle a touch but not necessary. This rounds out the complexity of the drink with a bit more of the lemon oils.
- Let sit a minute (if you can wait that long!) to let the herbs infuse a bit.
- Add ice to the shaker to the top of the liquid and shake until well chilled, a count of 15 - 20 seconds for my taste but your hands will tell you holding the shaker.
- Strain into a chilled coupe and garnish with the nasturtium flower!
I like my cocktails a bit more on the tart side, not very sweet, feel free to up the simple syrup to suit your tastes! This nasturtium cocktail uses oregano but almost any fresh herb you have will work to play off of the peppery nasturtium leaves and flower!