Chilled Avocado Soup with Roasted Red Peppers and Chili Honey
Smooth savory cold soup perfect for warm summer days. A little sweet heat is the perfect counter point to the cool, silky avocado!
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/4 each finely diced onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt (may need more to your taste)
- 4 each ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (plus a little extra for garnish)
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 tbsp chili honey (optional, can use chili oil and/or regular honey as well)
- Chop the garlic and onions.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add olive oil to pan and swirl.
- Saute the onion and garlic for a couple minutes until soft and remove from heat.
- Pit avocados and squeeze from skin into blender or food processor.
- Pour lemon juice over avocados (great boost of flavor and prevents discoloration).
- Add cilantro, stock, water, cooked onion and garlic mixture, and salt to the food processor).
- Process until smooth and completely blended. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Transfer to airtight container and chill for 3 hours.
- Serve in bowls topped with fresh cilantro, roasted red pepper slices, queso fresco, and drizzle lightly with the chili honey (or chili oil & honey).