Gluten Free Almond Scones
These drop scones are some of the best baking I've done. Full of amazing almond flavor with a delightfully crumbly and airy texture. Perfect for any time or as a special treat under some whipped cream and berries! Oh, and did I mention super easy and fast?
Servings 12 scones
- 1 cup gluten free flour (This was Pamela's all purpose blend)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free quick oats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 each eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift the all purpose flour, almond flour, quick oats, and baking powder together into a large bowl. Note: You can also do steps 1 - 3 in a food processor.
- Cut in the butter with a fork and/or pastry blender.
- Add sugar and salt to the bowl and whisk in.
- In another bowl or measuring cup whisk the eggs with the cream and then the almond extract.
- Pour over the flour mixture and stir together with a spoon.
- On a baking tray with a silicone mat (or you could probably grease the tray), spoon out 12 (about 1/4 cup each) plops and press them down slightly so they aren't super tall.
- Cook until lovely brown and cooked through, about 12 - 15 minutes!
- Remove from oven and enjoy warm almond scones plain or with your favorite fixings.
Admittedly I've never been enthralled with baking, I do it because I love pies, breads, and other baked desserts! I am, however, a scientist by nature... so starting to actually dig into the science of baking is AWESOME and (obviously) produces superior results! These almond scones were just a vehicle for some berries and cream until I started looking at the science behind the scenes and it has opened up a new realm for exploration... but first need to do some more studying, stay tuned!