Quick Pickled Onions
This is quite possibly the simplest, most delicious, most versatile food in the universe. I use pickled onions on salads, steaks, tacos, salads, basically anything. You can use the basic recipe or improvise to your heart's content.
- 1 each red onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar (substitute apple cider vinegar or whatever vinegar you have on hand)
- Cut the onion into very thin slices.
- Add to pint mason jar or other container you can cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Sprinkle salt and optionally sugar over onions.
- Pour vinegar over onions, cover and shake (or stir) to combine.
- Let sit for 2 hours before using. The pickled onions can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.