Smoked Figs with Mint Mascarpone and Orgeat
Smoked figs? Slightly sweetened mint mascarpone? Roasted almond bits? Finished with a drizzle of orgeat and a pinch of salt? YES, PLEASE!
- 8 each figs
- 1 batch orgeat (Reserve the soaked and drained almond!)
- 8 oz mascarpone
- 1/4 cup mint simple syrup (May take a little more or less depending on your taste)
- 1 pinch salt
- NB: It's best to make the orgeat (3+ hours) and mint simple syrup (1+ hour) ahead and reserve the soaked and drained toasted almond bits.
- NB: This is best done with a charcoal grill or smoker, there are some smoking box attachments that can help a gas grill but I haven't used them.
- Start soaking your wood chips about 30 minutes before smoking the figs.
- Heat your grill/smoker to a medium/low with indirect heat.
- Rinse your figs and slice in half.
- Place the figs in your smoker/grill with indirect heat and add a good handful of wood chips to the coals.
- Let the figs smoke over the low heat for about 20 minutes. Checking occasionally to make sure the temperature is staying low. Remove and set aside (can be refrigerated if you want to make ahead).
Toasted Candied Almonds
- While the figs are smoking turn your broiler on high.
- Spread the soaked and drained almond bits from making the orgeat in a thin layer on a baking sheet and broil for 2 - 3 minutes, just enough to crisp them up a bit!
- Mix the mint simple syrup into the mascarpone a little at a time, tasting as you go to your taste. May take a little more or less of the simple syrup depending on your taste.
- Pour a little of the mascarpone in a bowl/on a plate, add a couple smoked fig halves, sprinkle with some of the toasted nuts, drizzle with a little orgeat, and finish with a pinch of salt!
Okay, this is a little more complicated than I meant in the beginning but you won't be sorry! Each of the parts are actually very easy but it definitely takes some time unless you make the mint simple syrup and orgeat a day ahead, then it all comes together pretty quickly. Fair warning, your kids may not love this dessert... but that's okay, more for the adults! PS. The mint simple syrup and orgeat are plenty useful for other things (aka cocktails, maybe a Pompelmojito, or a Mai Tai!)... Smoked figs are pretty tasty for savory dishes also!