Sage and Toasted Hazelnut Pesto
Beautiful pesto full of deep fall flavors with fresh sage, a little garlic, and toasted hazelnuts. Absolutely amazing when paired with a bit of crumbled blue cheese… on whatever!
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup sage leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 pinch pepper
- In a skillet over medium/medium-low heat add the hazelnuts.
- Stir regularly until toasted and brown about 5 – 10 minutes. Careful not to over toast as they will burn quickly.
Prep Sage and Garlic
- Meanwhile, bring a small pan of water to the boil.
- Peel the garlic cloves.
- Once the water is boiling toss about half the sage and all of the garlic into the boiling water for about 1 minute.
- Turn off heat and using a slotted spoon remove the garlic and sage leaves from the boiling water.
- Put the hazelnuts, sage (cooked and fresh), and the garlic in a food processor and process until roughly chopped up.
- Add salt a bit of pepper and olive oil and process until your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings if you want.
- Scrape into a mason jar and refrigerate for up to a week!
This is a beautiful fall sage pesto and is great with potatoes, pasta, or my roasted kabocha risotto!