Grilled Lemongrass Beef Salad
A bit of beautifully grilled meat on top of some bright veggies and rice and an amazing honey-lime-chili dressing finish off this mouthwatering meal!
Grilled Sirloin Flap
- 1 each sirloin flap (about 1 lb) (Could probably use a skirt or flank steak also)
- 2 each lemongrass stalks (these are the whole, long stalks, if you get them in a container they are usually cut in half so use twice as many)
- 1 each lime (juice & zest)
- 1/4 cup tamari (or regular soy sauce if gluten isn't an issue)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 each lettuce leaves, large (or 8 small leaves)
- 1/2 each green mango
- 1 each red bell pepper
- 1 cup carrot, matchsticks
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
Honey Lime Dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce (plus more if you want for topping the meat)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Slice your lemongrass stalks into thin slices and add to a bowl and crush with the back of a spoon.
- Zest and juice lime over lemongrass.
- Add tamari, honey, water, minced ginger, and minced garlic to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the sirloin flap in a container you can cover. Pour marinade over and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Honey Lime Dressing
- Combine the lime juice, honey, chili garlic sauce, and salt in a bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Rinse your lettuce leaves and let dry.
- Cut the skin off your mango and cut into small matchsticks.
- Rinse and cut the carrots and red pepper into small matchsticks as well.
- After rinsing, chop your cilantro leaves into small bits.
- Combine mango, carrots, bell peppers, and 2/3's of your chopped cilantro in a bowl. Pour 1/2 the honey lime dressing over and toss to coat. Set aside.
Grilled Lemongrass Beef
- Take your marinating beef out of the refrigerator and let warm up to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Get your grill nice and hot.
- Put the sirloin flap on the grill and sear about 2 minutes. Flip and repeat the 2 minute sear on the other side. Move to more indirect heat and continue cooking to your desired temperature. About 1 - 3 minutes more (5 - 8 minutes total).
- Remove from grill and let sit 5 minutes.
- Slice the beef thinly across the grain.
- Place a large lettuce leaf on each plate, add about 1/2 cup rice on top. Top with some of the soaking mango & veggies. Pour a little more dressing over. Add a few slices of beef. Sprinkle a bit more of the cilantro and add a bit of heat with some chili garlic sauce! Bam, enjoy your grilled lemongrass beef salad!
This is a favorite of ours, super vibrant colors and flavor, fantastically healthy meal. The aroma of the lemongrass is really hard to beat, it pairs with the meat for a delicious grilled beef salad! Soapbox: I’m an omnivore, I love meat, but I have always also included lots of plants and plant based proteins in my diet. The more I read and learn about meat production the more I think there’s a need for change but we can achieve a healthy balance. Less quantity of much better quality and sustainably raised meats. I’m not perfect but am trying to do better. There are more and more producers, ranchers, and companies making this their mission and I intend to support them with my words and with my wallet. This was a beautiful piece of flavorful sirloin flap from @novyranchesgrassfedbeef via @crowdcow!