Mushroom and Sweet Potato Veggie Lettuce Wraps
Simple delicious flavors, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, basil and garlic, sautéed quickly in a pan and then wrapped in a fresh, crisp, beautiful bit of lettuce! Just because I’m ready to eat healthy doesn’t mean I’m giving an inch on flavor or beauty!
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 1 each sweet potato (I used a bit of 2 different varieties for color!)
- 2 each heads lettuce, a variety with smaller leaves is easier to use
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- Peel the sweet potato and dice into very small cubes, about 1/4 inch or less. Dice the mushrooms small as well (these can be a bit bigger since they will shrink some).
- Trim the bottom off the heads of lettuce and then rinse and let dry while you’re cooking the veggies.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/medium high heat. Add olive oil and swirl to coat.
- Add the mushrooms and sweet potatoes to the skillet and sauté. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper to taste! Sauté about 5 minutes until the mushrooms have released and the sweet potatoes are starting to cook through (this depends mostly on how big you diced them).
- NB: If your veggies are starting to stick a bit much you can always deglaze the pan with a little bit of water and turn down the heat.
- Turn the heat down a bit, medium/medium low and add the basil and garlic. Cook for another 2 – 3 minutes or so making sure to keep stirring and not burn the garlic, until the sweet potatoes are cooked through to your liking. Remove from heat.
- Get a big plate or platter and set the leaves out so they are sort of cupped up (or at least flat). Spoon a good mound of the cooked mushroom and sweet potato mixture into eat leaf. Enjoy!
Such and easy and delicious way to get some veggies in your life! Plus, how gorgeous is that lettuce? It was almost too pretty to eat… almost! These mushroom and sweet potato veggie lettuce wraps are what you need to kick off the new year!