Slow Roasted Strawberry Shortcake
The amazing flavors from these slow roasted strawberries, a little mashed fresh strawberry, a dollop of whipped cream, all over my (soon to be world famous) gluten free almond drop scone!!! Let's just say you're lucky there's a picture of it!
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional, confectioners sugar works best but any sweetener can work)
- 6 each gluten free almond scones
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Top and slice 3/4's of your strawberries thin and place in a single layer on a baking tray lined with a silicone mat.
- Sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon and roast for about 25 minutes.
- Take your whipping cream and whip to soft peaks. Add your vanilla extract and sugar (up to you on how much or leaving it out) and finish whipping to stiff peaks.
- Now, in a bowl, take the rest of the strawberries and mash with a fork, add half the roasted strawberries and the honey and mix together.
- Slice the scones in half like a bun and open up. Put a dollop of whipped cream on. Top with a spoon full of the fresh/roasted strawberry mash, and finally, finish with a few slices of the roasted strawberries. Enjoy!
You could make this slow roasted strawberry shortcake with something other than these gluten free almond scones but I'd advise at least trying them... it turns out this recipe I made just as a vehicle for these berries is pretty darn delicious by itself so I broke it out.