The Perfect Mojito
The Perfect Mojito
We had to honor the first day of summer with a batch of these perfectly delicious mojitos! Fresh ingredients, a little macerating, a little patience, and voila a batch of pourable mojitos that can travel wherever you want to go!
- 2 bunches mint (plus a few sprigs for garnish)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups rum (I usually use a light rum but a nice aged rum wouldn't be all bad either 😉
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice (and some slices for garnish)
- 1 litre club soda
- Rinse your mint and place in a large bowl.
- Pour sugar over the mint and lightly pound the leaves and sugar together until they just darken and are very fragrant. I like to use the pestle from my mortar and pestle to do this, makes my job easy but you can use a muddler or the back of a spoon to do the same.
- Let sit, extracting the lovely mint oil, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the rum and lime juice and stir together until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Let sit another 15 minutes or so (sometimes I let it sit for an hour or more while getting other things ready).
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve or chinois into a pitcher or mason jar, pressing all the juices out with the back of a spoon.
- Fill a glass (or mason jar) with crushed ice. Pour about 3 ounces of mojito mixture over the ice, pour 2 - 3 ounces of club soda over the ice.
- Stir, garnish with a mint spring a lime and sip the perfect mojito for this summer!
Okay, the title may be a little click bait but I firmly stand behind the recipe, it's fantastic and what isn't perfect about a huge batch of mojitos??? We have been making these regularly for the last... well, I'll just say a long time! Yet another great way to welcome the official start to summer! I may have made a batch of these yesterday to enjoy along with my gluten free ice cream sandwiches... just sayin'! They also travel well in a large mason jar, perfect for beach time!